Dear FIS,
Dear Future International student,
I am writing to you while sitting so many miles away, but in reality I am home.
I am sure your admission must be the best thing that has ever happened to you this year, and no matter how complicated the visa application process may be, your excitement overloads. You can’t wait to shop for those long winter coats and pack them. You can’t wait to see your gallery full of the sky’s views this time taken by you. And when you land in your dream country, where your university is, you can’t wait to compare what you have heard with what you will see. You can’t wait to be called a diaspora and change your lifestyle, as you have always wanted. And if you are a believer, you are probably praying so hard that everything goes well as planned.
What then should I say as somebody who was once in your shoes? Well, I will first say Congratulations. You are about to embark on a journey that will completely change your life for either the good or bad; the choice lies in your hands. You will definitely see the other side of this story called Life and what you thought was impossible may this time be possible. As the weather change, you will have a chance to taste a variety; meals, trips, holidays and see lots of people living what you used to see in movies.
This blessing will be accompanied by challenges meant not to destroy you but to make you stronger. You might find that what you were academically very sure of is actually not yours. Feel free to push and try hard; if it completely doesn’t work for your good, find what suits your abilities and passions.
You will surely have to deal with lots of new things; new languages, new professors, classmates, workmates, neighbors, landlords, doctors, mentors and therapists. Some days you will make it in class with great grades, and some others you may mess up. Don’t be discouraged, just as anyone in the kitchen accidentally puts lots of salt in their lunch/dinner, they still find a way to eat. The same applies to your academics; you may fail more than once, but the most important test to pass is finding your way out of that failure. Pray that you may always be reminded that you are ABLE.
Some relationships will flawlessly work; others will not last that long. Always strive for the best and invest in genuine friendships as much as you can. Those who stay close will become your New Home, that’s my actual current home too, which I talked about earlier. I encourage you to daily invest in what helps you grow in your academics, physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially and socially. Remember to not confuse ‘discomfort’ with ‘lack of patience’ or the other way around. Choose not to be disrespected; choose love, grace, and gentleness over cruelty. Know that asking for help is not a weakness but rather a strength that eventually takes you away from a certain wild zone. And are you the first one to go through what seems hard and very demanding? Never. Once you fortunately get to hear from others, you will know it’s not just you. Missing home is also a general feeling for many who have left for studies abroad. Often, it may require a reasonable amount of patience until you get to see your loved ones again.
I decided to share this with you because when I searched for ‘What it looks like to be an international’, the feelings, questions, and failures, I was unfortunately unable to find this on Google. Again, this is because every journey is different, and a few feel comfortable sharing their stories. Lastly, you probably will want to change lots in your closet or think of new piercings. This will for sure make you question if people will still see and treat you like the ‘YOU’ they hugged that tight on your way to starting this new journey. And for this, I wish you luck and that LOVE may always be the answer.
Yours truly,
Perside.

Thank you so much for this ❤️
ReplyDeleteYou're always welcome! Thanks for reading this.
DeleteThis is beautiful❤❤
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, I appreciate you spending some of your time here.
Delete😍😍😍🫶
ReplyDeleteThanks so much to both of you, love you so very much!
DeleteThank you for being so transparent
ReplyDeleteAlways welcome, thanks so much for reading and leaving a comment. I love you!!!!
DeleteNot you reading our minds🥹🥹 Thanks a lot for this❤️
ReplyDeleteGrateful that it's relatable. Thanks so much again for coming here, love you so very much!
DeleteThanks for letting them be aware of what they might encounter from the other side of the world 🫡🫡🫡
ReplyDeleteYes, and it looks like u're already abroad too but you still chose to come spend some of your time here. I appreciate this so much and I love this for you. Blessings!!!
DeleteI really enjoyed reading this Perside. I think it is true and I hope it is going to help many. ❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Assoumpta for your kind comment, I love you so much! Hugsss!!!!
DeleteThank you Perside. Sending love your way ❤️
ReplyDeleteAlways in awe of your writing skills...loved it to pieces🙌❤
ReplyDeleteWell, this means so much to me, thank you. But I am still learning haha, I appreciate your time here.
Delete